Computational Science and Engineering Summer Intern – Biosecurity
Inscripta | Industry | Pleasanton, CA or Boulder, CO | More →
Inscripta was founded in 2015 and recently launched the world’s first benchtop Digital Genome Engineering platform. The company is growing aggressively, investing in its leadership, team, and technology with a recent $150mm financing round led by Fidelity and TRowe price. The company’s advanced CRISPR-based platform, consisting of an instrument, reagents, and software, offers a fully automated workflow that enables multiplexed, trackable editing of cells at an unprecedented scale. Inscripta’s mission is to enable scientists to realize the full potential of biology. Due to rapid growth and recent commercialization, Inscripta has an opening for a Computational Science and Engineering Intern – Biosecurity located in Pleasanton, CA or Boulder, CO. Remote internships may be possible on a case by case basis.
The Department of Computational Sciences and Engineering (CoSE) works collaboratively with multi-disciplinary teams throughout Inscripta. CoSE is responsible for addressing a number of genomic, proteomic, experimental design and other relevant questions by building tools, APIs, pipelines, and incorporating mathematical modeling, machine learning and similar data science approaches. We are a multi-disciplinary team made up of software engineers, data scientists, and bioinformaticians. We are looking for exceptional candidates to spend the summer working at Inscripta on Biosecurity related tasks.
Work with the Biosecurity team to improve and expand sequence screening algorithms, using these or related strategies;
• Assemble and leverage appropriate datasets to assess biosecurity screening approaches.
• Benchmark existing approaches using a range of input sequence variants.
• Improve taxonomic assessment of novel genomes.
• Develop innovative strategies to improve robustness and sensitivity of our sequence screening processes.
• Strategize and prototype novel approach to evaluate functional impact of individual edits in organisåmal context.
• Open to M.S., PhD or Bachelor’s students pursuing a degree in computer science, engineering, bioinformatics, biology, biochemistry, physics, statistics, or a related field.
• Must have completed at least 3 years of an undergraduate program to be eligible.
• This internship will last a minimum of 12 weeks throughout the summer and will have full-time hours, 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday.
• Familiarity with high level programming language such as python, R, or similar.
• Application of biology principles to computational challenges.
• Strong problem solving, statistical, and mathematical skills.
• Strong communication skills.
• Experience working collaboratively on a team or project.
Projects will vary depending upon the candidate’s background, but experience in one or more of the following skillsets is expected:
• Familiarity with a broad range of bioinformatics software and algorithms and experience using them on large data sets.
• Familiarity with machine learning approaches for sequence classification.
• Graphical approaches to genome variant detection and representation.
Inscripta offers a competitive hourly rate for interns. Join us for the summer and work with a great team of people creating cutting edge technology in the world’s first scalable platform for benchtop Digital Genome Engineering. At Inscripta, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, support it, and thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our innovation, and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace because the more inclusive we are as a company, the better our work will be. Inscripta is headquartered in Boulder, CO with offices in Pleasanton and San Diego, CA. This position is located in Pleasanton, CA or Boulder, CO locations. Remote internships may be possible on a case by case basis.