Huue, Inc. | Industry | Oakland, CA | More →
Huue is a Melinda Gates-backed biotechnology company creating the next generation of sustainable dyes for the industries – food, cosmetics, textiles – that are integral to a sustainable future, starting with the indigo for denim. We’re looking for scientists excited about building something new and disrupting an industry. We are hiring a highly motivated Fermentation Scientist to develop a robust, scalable fermentation process for small molecule products. You will be part of a core team of scientists working to engineer microbial strains and scale fermentation processes to develop more sustainable dyes.
• Plan, execute, and analyze bench-scale to pilot-scale experiments for the fermentation of small molecule products.
• Test process improvements based on knowledge of microbial physiology and metabolism.
• Collaborate with downstream processing engineers to develop a manufacturing process that can be executed at commercial scale.
• Interface with contract manufacturing organizations (CMOs) to scale the process to pilot scale reactors.
• Maintain and fix fermentation equipment as needed. Provide input on new equipment purchases.
• Keep organized and detailed documentation. Develop SOPs for documentation and knowledge transfer.
• Identify contamination and design measures to avoid it.
• Keep up to date with current literature.
• Present data internally as well as with outside stakeholders, including CMOs or investors.
• PhD with more than 2 years, or MS with over 6 years, or BS with over 8 years relevant industry experience. Degree in chemical engineering, bioengineering, molecular biology, microbiology, or other related field preferred.
• Successful track record of developing fermentation process improvements.
• Experience with operating bench scale and pilot scale bioreactors with sterile technique.
• Strong knowledge of microbial physiology and cellular metabolism.
• Experience with analytical chemistry.
• Experience working with CMOs.
• Able to occasionally work off hours or weekends.
• Independent, detail-oriented worker with strong project management skills.
• Clear and proactive communicator, written and verbal.
• Creative problem solver.
• Enthusiasm for working in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary startup team environment.
• Bonus points for interest in denim, sustainability, and/or fashion.
Please apply via our LinkedIn page: https://www.linkedin.com/company/huue/jobs/