Postdoctoral Research Associate / Lab Manager (Horticultural Sciences Dept)
University of Florida | Academic | Gainesville, Florida
A synthetic biology postdoctoral position is open in Andrew Hanson’s group – 80% research/20% lab management. *We can wait several months for the right person*.
The Hanson group is applying synthetic biology approaches to engineering plant and microbial metabolism. Their research aims for utility to agriculture and the bioeconomy. Ongoing projects include:
– Using directed evolution via the E. coli EvolvR system (PMID:30069054) and the yeast OrthoRep system (PMID:30415839) to build more energy-efficient versions of the thiamin synthesis enzyme THI4 (PMID:30337452)
– Using EvolvR to extend the working life of enzymes (and so cut the high energy cost of replacing them)
– Parts-prospecting for enzyme systems that pre-empt or repair damage caused by formaldehyde and other highly reactive metabolic intermediates
– Developing new-to-nature synthetic metabolic pathways that benefit agriculture and the environment
The 20% management component involves overseeing ordering, coordinating performance of everyday tasks by other lab members, and similar routine operations.
We collaborate extensively (via joint Federally-funded projects) and publish with groups at UF, in other US institutions, and in Europe. These groups include synthetic biologists, metabolic engineers, computational biochemists, and plant biochemists.
For our publications see https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=NMKoQqEAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao
– PhD degree in biochemistry, microbiology, chemistry, biotechnology, or a related discipline
– Proven organizational, time-management, and communication skills (oral and written)
– Experience with E. coli and preferably also yeast as genetic and metabolic platform organisms
– Strong interest in applying synthetic biology to metabolic engineering
– Strong interest in plants and plant improvement
Starting salary: $47,476/year. Fringe benefits include health insurance.
To Apply: Please send a letter of application, a detailed CV, and names and email addresses of three referees to [email protected]