Research Professor, Industrial Biotechnology
VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland | Academic | Espoo, Finland | More →
VTT is a visionary research, development and innovation partner. We drive sustainable growth and tackle the biggest global challenges of our time and turn them into growth opportunities. We go beyond the obvious to help the society and companies to grow through technological innovations. We have over 75 years of experience of top-level research and science-based results. VTT´s turnover and other operating income is 258 M€. VTT is at the sweet spot where innovation and business come together. www.vttresearch.com
VTT – beyond the obvious.
VTT has a strong focus on applied multidisciplinary research for industrial biotechnology, food solutions, biomass processing and bio-based products, sustainable chemistry and low-carbon energy. One key area is development of biotechnological processes for sustainable production of fuels, chemicals and materials from renewable biomass feedstocks.
VTT has cutting-edge platforms for strain engineering and screening in high throughput manner and the development and scale up of bioprocesses from laboratory scale to pilot-scale bioreactors. VTT is part of the Finnish National Bioeconomy infrastructure and a partner in the EU level infrastructure ESFRI Roadmap “EU-IBISBA: Industrial Biotechnology Innovation and Synthetic Biology Acceleration” (www.ibisba.eu) for the further development of the high throughput strain cultivation infrastructure and related analytics.
With us you will be responsible for
Do you want to join VTT in creating scientific and technological excellence and make an impact for a brighter future?
VTT is now seeking to appoint a Research Professor in Industrial Biotechnology.
Research professors are key experts in VTT’s research network contributing to implementation of VTT strategy. The individual will be expected to promote and lead innovative research in Industrial Biotechnology, taking care of competence gaps and supporting competence development for future need. In addition, they will support a challenge-driven way of working and ensure scientific excellence in their field.
We expect you to have
The successful candidate will be an internationally renowned researcher in their field with the leadership experience to direct an internationally competitive research group focusing on metabolic engineering and understanding of biological chemistry as a basis for using microbes as cell factories. They will also have expertise on modelling of metabolism and cell function, in bioprocess physiology and optimisation, and synthetic biology and automation as tools in strain construction, analysis and product design. In addition, a proven track record working closely with industry and understanding industrial needs are of great benefit.
As a person you are
• Visionary, challenge-driven, eager to innovate and go beyond obvious
• Proactive and open-minded networker and playmaker
• Inspirational creating positive drive and getting people excited
• Motivated to share, collaborate and coach young scientists in their career
• Business-minded striving to create impact rooted in scientific excellence
• Well-organised and energetic with intrinsic “can do” – attitude
VTT welcomes you to join us in solving the biggest challenges of our time through applied research, science and technology. With VTT, you will have a great opportunity to develop scientific and technological excellence together with VTT´s top experts. You will be a part of a creative and international working environment. The tasks are versatile, independent and challenging, with support and coaching where needed. VTT is a modern, well-equipped working environment with competent, internationally oriented and highly trained personnel assisted by skilled business support professionals.
Finland offers an exceptionally high standard of living and it has been ranked as the happiest country in the world in the World Happiness Report. For more information about living in Finland, please visit following site (Why FInland): https://bit.ly/2lRbsD5.
For further information
Recruitment partner Perrett Laver assists VTT in the recruitment process: please submit your application in Perrett Laver’s portal available at: https://candidates.perrettlaver.com/vacancies/1560/.
Applications should consist of:
• A complete curriculum vitae, maximum of 10 pages including full name, date and place of birth, nationality, current residence, education and degrees awarded, linguistic skills, current and previous positions, major research funding obtained, relevant industrial collaboration, research leadership, list of supervised PhDs and post-doctoral researchers, other academic merits, number of peer-reviewed articles, H-index, total citations and average citation per item.
• A complete list of publications (with citations and impact factors) and for the evaluation PDF copies of ten selected publications most relevant for the professorship.
• Summary of research activities carried out so far (maximum two pages) .
• A research plan and ambitions as a research professor (maximum five pages).
Perrett Laver may be contacted for informal enquiries and questions about the post on +44 (0)20 7340 6237 or [email protected] The closing date for applications is 9am CET on Sunday 3rd November 2019.