Sr. Bioinformatics Scientist II/ Staff Bioinformatics Scientist
Inscripta | Industry | Pleasanton, CA, San Diego, CA, Boulder, CO, or Remote | More →
Inscripta was founded in 2015 and recently launched the world’s first benchtop Digital Genome Engineering platform. The company is growing aggressively, investing in its leadership, team, and technology with a recent $150mm financing round led by Fidelity and TRowe price. The company’s advanced CRISPR-based platform, consisting of an instrument, reagents, and software, offers a fully automated workflow that enables multiplexed, trackable editing of cells at an unprecedented scale. Inscripta’s mission is to enable scientists to realize the full potential of biology. Due to rapid growth and recent commercialization, Inscripta has an opening for a Senior Bioinformatics Scientist II/ Staff Bioinformatics Scientist in the Bioengineering Software Design team located in our Pleasanton, CA or San Diego, CA or Boulder, CO offices or work remotely in the U.S..
The Senior Bioinformatics Scientist II/ Staff Bioinformatics Scientist is a full-time individual-contributor position, to which you would devote all your professional effort. You will be a member of an incredibly talented interdisciplinary team, and your primary responsibility will be devoted to creating and improving library designs and library design tools needed to support Product Development and Commercial teams’ development of cells comprised of thousands of precise genomic edits. Come work with us to build the tools that will power a new era of genome engineering!
• Create design library orders to support our R&D Product Development and Commercial teams.
• Develop, deploy, and train others to use new library design tools that help our Product Development team iterate through the design-build-test-learn cycle more quickly.
• Work closely with applications scientists to document & codify library design best practices and strategies that leverage Inscripta’s technology platform.
• Develop backend software to support our design library pipeline. This responsibility includes architecture decisions, feature augmentation, refactoring, testing, and documentation of code as well as participation in scrum team activities.
• Such other matters as may be determined by yourself and the Company.
• A Bachelor’s degree in a technical or scientific area. An advanced degree is strongly preferred.
• A minimum of 7-10 years of experience (or equivalent with advanced degree).
• Firm understanding of molecular biology, metabolic engineering, biophysics, and biochemistry is strongly preferred.
• A strong working knowledge of bioinformatics file types like VCF, GB, GFF3, BED, and SAM/BAM.
• Familiarity with bioinformatics databases like EcoCyc, UniProt, NCBI, Pfam, Rfam, YGD, ENSEMBL, UCSC genome browser.
• A strong working knowledge of Python in OO setting and familiarity with packages like biopython, pandas, numpy, and scikit-learn.
• Experience managing user interfaces such as Shiny (from RStudio) or Dash (from plot.ly) is a plus.
• Software development skills, including a working knowledge of version control systems, continuous integration processes, and Agile development techniques – experience with Scrum is preferred.
• Enthusiasm for developing software as part of a team is a must.
• Patience and tenacity regarding working in a startup culture with a complex code base is a must.
• 1+ years of experience writing production code in a team setting is preferred.
• Energetic and motivated self-starter with excellent analytical, problem solving, communication, and presentation skills.
• Special consideration will be given to candidates with expertise in synthetic biology, metabolic engineering, and advanced genome editing tools and methodologies.
• Special consideration will be given to candidates with an excellent track-record of publications and/or other scientific achievements.
Inscripta offers a competitive base salary, bonus plan, benefits package, 401k match, and an attractive equity program to all team members. Join us and work with a cutting edge organization creating cutting edge technology. At Inscripta, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, support it, and thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our innovation, and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace because the more inclusive we are as a company, the better our work will be. Inscripta is headquartered in Boulder, CO with offices in Pleasanton and San Diego, CA. This position can work out of either our Pleasanton, CA or San Diego, CA or Boulder, CO offices, or work remotely in the U.S..