Strain Engineering Scientist
Huue, Inc. | Industry | Oakland, CA | More →
Huue is a Melinda Gates-backed biotechnology company creating the next generation of sustainable dyes for the industries – food, cosmetics, textiles – that are integral to a sustainable future, starting with the indigo for denim. We’re looking for scientists excited about building something new and disrupting an industry. We are hiring a highly motivated Strain Engineering Scientist to improve our strain for high production of our small molecule product and research new strains for various product applications. You will be part of a core team of scientists working to engineer microbial strains and scale fermentation processes to develop more sustainable dyes.
• Design and build strains to optimize production of targeted molecules, based on knowledge of metabolic pathways and cellular physiology.
• Design and execute library-based screening assays for protein engineering experiments.
• Perform hypothesis-driven wet-lab experiments in microtiter plates and shake flasks to improve strain metrics.
• Collaborate closely with fermentation team to develop a strain and fermentation process that can be executed at commercial scale.
• Develop a strain engineering pipeline that supports future expansion.
• Keep organized and detailed documentation. Develop SOPs for documentation and knowledge transfer.
• Keep up to date with current literature in strain engineering and implement new technologies as relevant.
• Present data internally as well as with outside stakeholders, including investors and partners.
• PhD, or MS with over 4 years relevant industry experience. Degree in molecular biology, biochemistry, microbiology, bioengineering, or other related field preferred.
• Proficient in molecular biology/genetic engineering benchwork.
• Experience in metabolic engineering; familiarity with bacterial physiology and manipulating metabolic pathways for small molecule production.
• Experience in protein engineering and designing/screening libraries.
• Familiarity with natural product biosynthesis.
• Experience with analytical chemistry methods.
• Creative problem solver.
• Independent, detail-oriented worker with strong project management skills.
• Clear and proactive communicator, written and verbal.
• Enthusiasm for working in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary startup team environment.
• Bonus points for interest in denim and/or sustainability.
Please apply via our LinkedIn page: https://www.linkedin.com/company/huue/jobs/