Tenure-track Assistant Professor Position in Synthetic Biology
The Department of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Biophysics (BMBB) and the BioTechnology Institute (BTI) in the College of Biological Sciences at the University of Minnesota are inviting applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Synthetic Biology.
The ideal candidate will develop a strong research program that establishes a new research area with a synthetic biology emphasis that complements current faculty research in synthetic biology and biotechnology within the BMBB department and the BTI. We seek to hire a candidate whose research aligns especially with one or more of the following topic areas:
• Application of AI/machine learning to biological systems and genetic design, particularly in integrating ‘omics-level datasets and high-throughput experimental systems,
• Synthetic biology of microbial (especially of non-model organisms) and plant systems,
• Cell-free systems, including applications in human or animal therapeutics or biomanufacturing,
• Genetically programmable materials, with a focus on platform systems whose physicochemical properties can be modified using synthetic biology,
• Sustainable biomanufacturing using synthetic biology approaches.
The position provides opportunities for collaboration across multiple disciplines in the life, physical and engineering disciplines, and access to students in multiple graduate programs. BMBB and BTI are centered in the Twin-Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul that is a hub for biotech and biopharmaceutical companies and have close connections to industry. The U of M has been recognized for its excellence in technology commercialization and entrepreneurship of its faculty, and the successful candidate can become part of this ecosystem. The candidate will be hired into BMBB as their academic tenure home and into the BTI.
The BMBB department and BTI are committed to increasing the diversity and inclusiveness of our faculty and are welcoming applications from candidates that will contribute to these goals.
To learn more about this opportunity and how to apply, go to https://hr.umn.edu/Jobs/Find-Job and search for Job # 357330.
For additional information, contact the faculty search committee at: BTIsearch@umn.edu.